Thursday, March 4, 2010

20 years with Christ


Today is my birthday. I say that not to provoke well wishes from anyone who may stumble upon this post, but to simply connect today with a much more notable attribute of this time for me. When I look ahead to the coming year, the most significant part of it that stands out is the fact that this spring will mark my 20th year in my walk with Christ.

I could write for hours about my stubborn resistance to sanctification over these past twenty years, my obstinate hesitancy to trust the God I’ve walked with all this time, but that’s not my intention here.

I want to look back at the wells of water that have quenched my thirst along my journey, the Ebenezers that have been raised along the path, the altars that I’ve built in order to remember the unwavering faithfulness of God. I can, without hesitation, sing with the psalmist “surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever” because that has been the theme of my journey thus far.

I can look back and clearly mark the moments of mercy. I can still taste the goodness of the Lord that I experienced along the way. True, the deserts have been arid. There have been times where I have felt so off course. The communion I’ve shared at His table has been consistently sweet, though I’ve rejected His friendship more times than I can possibly count. My faith has often been misplaced. My vain and corrupt searches for my own kingdom have left me exhausted. I’ve doubted, wandered, and resented. I’ve been skeptical of His goodness, wrestled with envy, and grappled with apathy.

But I have tasted and the taste still lingers, even in times of disenchantment. The wellsprings along the path have always led me into an even deeper relationship with the One I journey with.

And He continues to invite me onward… into the next twenty years.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I have no greater joy than to hear my children walk in the truth.
3 John 4 alw

Lindsey said...

beautiful, allen. congrats on 20 years of tested faith that has brought you to the place you are now. we are thankful for your life and the example it has brought us.