Thursday, September 25, 2008

Echoes


You don’t experience a willing vulnerability very often. Jes, my brothers and I went to the Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova show last night at the Ryman. The show was fantastic, but I was absolutely overwhelmed by the opening song. The lights went low and Glen Hansard came out onto the stage. He stepped to the very edge, guitar unplugged, his voice completely unassisted by technology, and started into “Say it to me now.” I’ve never heard a crowd at the Ryman more hushed. He sang defenseless; completely vulnerable. In a city of manufactured celebrities, it was something so raw and beautiful that will haunt me for weeks to come. Absolutely beautiful…

1 comment:

Allen and Jessica said...

The raw nature of Glen’s song refreshed and inspired my soul as well. . . Oh, how I long to abandon all facades and false pretenses and move into the entirety of my authentic self. . . to be ME, unplugged. Perhaps, that above all other longings is the most liberating when fulfilled as it is enables one to fully tap divinely imparted potential and function with sovereign purpose.